Tuesday, July 24, 2012

This is written by a prisoner serving Life Without Parole for a non-violent drug offense.

All prisons have a rec yard. All prisons have the elderly of which many are ill, many are in wheel chairs. Here, at this prison we too have many in wheel chairs. So, I thought, I cut my thoughts into the night and came up with..... the show. For I wondered even those sitting in wheel chairs in cells. I believe that they ,most are hanging on for some thing , any thing . So immobile ,they are,are like fingernails slowly, slowly digging a deep grave..... I had to do something..... Here, in the rec yard there is one very large tree. The tree umbrellas a circumference of huge shade. So, I sent out the message of the joining through runners .The message, for those in wheel chairs to come under the wide cool shade last sunday. To come and enjoy, simply enjoy..... And, they came, all assisted by being pushed by a friend..... That day I arrranged for a short young man with a round face and huge round glasses to tell many jokes. With the jokes cool cups of lemonade were circulated. Gulps and sips accompanied the belly laughter. Then, I, told a funny story of Fresno Freddy, the prison mouse. After that ,a lone young man strung his guitar and sang lively tunes, finished so softly. That tears met the dry ground. The prison ground that absorbs human moisture,life,so quickly. Yet ,that day I believe will not go quickly from the minds of the many ill in those wheel chairs. Chairs when leaving that afternoon, bounced slightly across patches of dirt and grass..... I stood there ,the last ,under that tree that witnesses so much, so much over the years. Watched them fade into the waiting cell blocks. Waiting to seal them up one by one, one by one behind the steel doors.... To the free world . This is Amercia's prisons today. I know , truly I know..... Yes, caged the must but feel for the latter.....Please!




I subscribe myself,

George Martorano

Date: 7-24-12

1 comment:

  1. Wheel chairs
    Wheel Chairs are used by people for whom walking is difficult or impossible due to illness, injury or disability

    ReplyDelete