Monday, July 16, 2012

Eugene Fischer Prisoner of the War on Drugs was released today after 25 years in Federal Prison.  Eugene was sentenced to Life Without Parole for a non-violent marijuana offense.  He is one of the prisoners featured on the website   http://www.lifeforpot.com
Eugene is a remarkable man and spent his time in prison writing books, plays, teaching, getting a masters degree and most importantly for Gene, developing a meaningful spiratual life.
Although I have never met Eugene, I consider him to be a dear and compassionate friend.  I have only corresponded with him over a period of two years, but these contacts have been a source of inspiration and support.  He of course understood my passion to reform sentencing for non-violent drug offenders and we had a common focus and goal.  Today, knowing that Eugene is free somehow seems to give me freedom also

No comments:

Post a Comment